Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beginner's Corner 14: Minor Pentatonic Scale
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > REC
Phil66
Original lesson: Beginner's Corner 14: Minor Pentatonic Scale by Bear Rose

Rip me up :)

Ben Higgins
Hi Phil, this is good playing, man. There won't be any ripping up here ! smile.gif

You've misinterpreted the timing of some of the notes is all. You're not actually out of time.

This probably won't make any sense to you but I'll explain it anyway... your playing the first 2 notes of every group as 8th notes. But they're supposed to be dotted 8th notes, which means they have an extra duration on them of an added 16th note. I know, it's all nonsense isn't it ?!! tongue.gif

Best thing to do is listen to the original again (I know, we always say that). Bear hangs on those notes for a bit longer. If you counted 1 , 2 , 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 over every bar (ie. you should be able to fit 2 counts of 4 over each chord change) when the first notes happen the second note should sound just after you count 2.

In your version you land exactly on the count of 2. So it's just a bit too early.

I hope it makes sense, I know it's confusing ! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey mate smile.gif Now that I listened to the take compared to Bear's, Ben is right smile.gif When I listened to it today, it seemed so obvious that I was thinking - hey this sounds very nice! Let's take it to the REC.

Please try to play against Bear's original recording in order to get used to the idea of playing the dotted eight note feel if it feels too difficult to count. It's a feeling thing, so I think that playing it against the original and even recording it like so will show you the true feeling of those notes. But on a side note, good timing on your version as Ben said! biggrin.gif

Let's take it to the woodshed a bit more, my bad - I was so enthusiastic about it and led you to a little confusion!

Cosmin
Gabriel Leopardi
Hi Phil. Good job with this lesson.

As the the other instructors said, the main thing to improve on this one it timing and rhythm. There are some parts (mostly the faster phrases in the second half) that have timing issues, however there are parts like the first section (for example the first two notes) that are played with a different rhythm compared with the original lesson. So, the best would be to practice the lesson playing along with Bear's take to adjust these issues.

Another difference with the original lesson is the picking directions and how Bear used it to give a more accentuated dynamic to the take. His picking is more aggressive compared to your take. It would be good to try to emulate it since I think that playing loud and strong is more difficult than playing softly. It would be a good training.

Keep on the hard work! wink.gif
Fran
Almost there, 7.3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.