> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

MANOWAR for Beginners, Lesson By Lian Gerbino
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 4 ] ** [100.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

IceThrone
Jun 26 2020, 12:16 AM
Learning Rock Star
Original lesson: MANOWAR for Beginners by Lian Gerbino

This one was fun and chunky. Also didn't think I could get such gnarly tones out of single coil strat.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 26 2020, 08:42 AM
GMC Founder
Cool! At this tempo you should be able to nail the gallop rhythm super tight - and since there is room for improvement here, I think we have probably found a crucial lesson for you.

* Are you tapping your foot here? You should - again this is a great lesson to practice this.

* You can afford to have you right hand totally relaxed here, it looks tense. Getting rid of tension is one of the most effective ways to improve accuracy (applies to sports as well).

Other than this - Lians subtle "dive bombs" are super effective here. Note that he mutes the chord before letting the bridge float back to its' original position. Also because you have a whammy bar, you will need to be extremely gentle to reproduce the same kind of subtle effect.

Keep up the hard work, you get a 7 from me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 26 2020, 03:43 PM
Instructor
Hi IceThrone!

Great job here! Your playing is clean and precise as the style requires, so this take obviously passes here. However, I think that there is still room to make this one sound cooler. How? By working on details:

- Groove: Your timing is not good but check again how groovy makes Lian sound this gallop. I must say that moving headbanging really helps to play with much more groove.

- The tremolo thing sounds more connected to the backing, there is something rigid in your version. Work on it.

- The solo section also can sound groovier, but you also need to put some more focus on bending pitches and vibrato.

Ok mate, it's another 7 here, keep on rocking!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 27 2020, 03:33 AM
GMC:er
Another VICTORY. Very Good stuff here. You have a good feel for METAL . It sounds like it is supposed to sound, it feels like it is supposed to feel. You could step in to Manowar and do just fine IMHO. Without repeating what's already been said, I'd like to talk about your vibrato. There are few spots when you use your first finger only for vibrato, which is fine, but the vibrato itself is a bit shallow and tepid and not very wide and smooth. Good vibrato starts small and gets bigger over time. There are a few instances, each one using the first finger for vibrato, where it's a big too uniform and and too shallow. About one minute in there are two examples of what I'm talking about. You can make good vibrato with a single finger, it just takes a bit more work.

Just to give an example, here is a track I did a solo for that has tons of vibrato and about 13 seconds in, it's got a single finger doing vibrato that is a good example of what' I'd like to see. It's a bit over the top, but you will get the idea.

Also, take a look at my pick hand. It stays pretty loose the entire time while maintaining a solid palm mute and making solid pick strikes. This takes a bit of practice but you are almost there! Solid 7!

QUOTE (IceThrone @ Jun 25 2020, 07:16 PM) *
Original lesson: MANOWAR for Beginners by Lian Gerbino

This one was fun and chunky. Also didn't think I could get such gnarly tones out of single coil strat.

<div class="youtube-embed"></div>

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 30 2020, 04:48 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Your a hard-worker wink.gif In general I have a good feelign on this one. Actually the only thing that really sticks out is your vibrato.

Try to bring some control and smoothness over your vibrato. what you do has beend named once by Frank Gambale - "choking the chicken". I have to admit the name has something related to what's audible. If you listen to original lesson video, you'll notice that you can find a pulse of vibrato that is somehow related to song tempo. Lian uses 8th notes triplet pulse for every fretting finger motion that pulls teh string out of the pitch. It sounds fast and deep but controlled and reasonably smooth. Your vibrato has very fast but random motion which makes the string not alwasy go back to perfect release. This one you make it sound out of tune. It is one of absolutely most common issues so don't feel sad on this, just try to fix and it will make your takes asound a level higher smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 14 2020, 10:31 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:22 AM