Musical Shred
PosterBoy
Jun 24 2020, 12:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Something that Gab commented on in another thread about musical shred
There are only a small amount of shredders/Instrumental guitarists that I can listen to without getting bored.

Some stuff is all good when watching shredders play and having an appreciation of their technique but without the visuals it leaves me cold.

Who else is the same and who can you just listen to with your ears for any length of time?

I think Andy James has really come up a level in this respect (I have a feeling it's Andy Timmon's influence on him)
Andy Wood is another who is musical, humorous and eclectic to keep me interested

Satch keeps a song structure which I think helps but I prefer his older stuff to his newer ones, same with Paul Gilbert

(what is it with Andys?)

I'm looking forward to the release of Mateus Asatos album

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 24 2020, 03:39 PM
Instructor
This is an interesting thread!

Honestly, I listen even to the most musical guitar album from a guitarist perspective and I think that I wouldn't chose it if I weren't a guitarist. I remember listening to Surfing with the alien, Passion & Warfare, and also some Blues Saraceno, Vinnie Moore and Tony Macalpine albums a lot when I was a teenager.

After those albums, I only found 1 that I could listen and not get bored: Erotic Cakes (besides some Scofield stuff).

The last instrumental guitar album that I can listen and never get bored is Nick Johnston's Remarkably Human. I've also enjoyed "Atomic Mind" (previous album), but unfortunately this didn't happen with his most recent album called "Wide eyes in the dark".

There are also many random songs that I like and which I've shared HERE.

But one thing that I'm sure is that I enjoy much more good tone, dynamics and tasty phrasing than pure shredding. I like when shred is used to connect beautiful/tasty melodies.

I recommend you watching this interesting analysis:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 25 2020, 12:04 PM
GMC:er
I can listen to Jeff Beck, Jennifer Batten, Michael Lee Firkins as well as those already mentioned.
As long as it's 'musical' and not just shred for the sake of it!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 25 2020, 12:54 PM
McLaughlin, Satriani and Holdsworth are about it for me as far as being able to keep my interest for an entire instrumental guitar "shred" album (45 to 50 minutes).

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 25 2020, 02:58 PM

Was released yesterday, I prefer the album version but gives the idea of what I like.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 25 2020, 03:46 PM
Instructor
Nice! Marty is one of my all time favorites. I prefer him in Megadeth, but his phrasing is always enjoyable.

I'm really excited about this track that will be released tomorrow:

Kiko's new track featuring Marty Friedman.

I'm also interested in hearing another (coming soon) Kiko's track featuring Mateus Asato.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2020, 07:27 PM
I usually can't listen to an entire album of "Shred" as most players start to get repetitive which can get boring. Some of the best "shredders" add other elements to their playing which balance out the shred with other styles and helps keep it fresh. Here is a good example. It's a Collab with Andy James and a few others where they show what makes each one a unique player and not just a scale runner.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 26 2020, 07:29 AM
Learning Roadie
How could i have forgotten Justin, i listeved to him on No Guitar is Safe podcast the other day.
Marco is really underexposed, he's such a melodic player

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 27 2020, 10:49 PM
Agreed!!! He's got a LOT of competition these days. It's staggering how many amazing players there are on youtube who barely have any sort of following at all. Then some guys who honestly can't play that well, but really understand "building an audience" have massive followings and people even pay for their youtube vids.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 26 2020, 02:29 AM) *
How could i have forgotten Justin, i listeved to him on No Guitar is Safe podcast the other day.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 28 2020, 10:07 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 25 2020, 03:58 PM) *

Was released yesterday, I prefer the album version but gives the idea of what I like.

Sounds like he is auditioning for Megadeth again? 😎

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 29 2020, 11:54 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 26 2020, 07:29 AM) *

Couldn't agree more, love Marco's playing!

There's also these guys:-

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 30 2020, 04:28 AM
Great stuff! I really liked SERGEY!!!! Very fresh. I liked him so much I went and found this.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 30 2020, 04:32 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:54 AM