> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Alternate Picking Workout #2, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
7 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

vpavlov
Jun 14 2016, 10:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Alternate Picking Workout #2 by Darius Wave

Hi mates; this is an excellent workout and it turned out harder than I thought. You need to be very delicate with the strings, pick and all. My own assessment is that my dynamic is not perfect; some of the notes are louder, while others are quieter than necessary. I also have some timing issues, I think... Still, I hope you like it. Cheers, -Val

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez RG1550 --> BIAS FX on iPad --> Ardour on avLinux
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 15 2016, 11:24 AM
Instructor
Hey Val!

First of all...thanx for choosing my lesson. I hope you enjoyed learning it.

From the critical things there is only one to spot - around 0:58 there is a wrong note - f# instead of f

Now some details:

Very good thing is that you can detect most of problems on your own. That's the first step to self developement.
Your timing is not so bad at all. Yes - there are spots where it could be more precise but overall your picking is consistent (timing-wise)

You are right the the dynamics are the issue here. Whole lesson was built on the "question-response" pattern. "Questions" are being played with palm muting and they should be clearly different than the responses. you palm muting is not even at the moment. Some notes sound less muted, some...more muted.

You need to watch out for the open G-string. IT tends to ring while you start to play another sequence

I would suggest to avoid using delay effect for alternate picking takes. It's not a must but in your case there is sort of slap-back effect that slicely blurries your playing

I would also experiment with a little more distortion. Your picking is sharp (that's nothing wrong) and your "not muted" notes sound bright and sharp. With a little bit more of compression, caused by more gain, you could be able to create more contrast between palm muting and open notes.

Aside from above you're doing very well and your take has nothign serious to fix (excluding this one wrong note). I like that you respected the chnage of picking direction in the final part.

All best! Darius

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2016, 06:54 PM
Instructor
Hi Val,

Good job! This is a very effective lesson to train different elements like alternate picking, timing, left hand fingering and dynamics. I think that the overall sounds good and that you've already detected which elements are weak on this lesson.

I consider very important to continue practising this lesson in order to make your picking more consistent, and to polish timing and dynamics.

This is not a lesson based on dynamics but in your take I also note that the overall sound irregular regarding intensities. The lesson is based on 8th notes so the accentuation should be slight but on the first of each group of two 8th notes, in other words, you can accentuate each down stroke.

Ok mate, this new take shows that you are focused and working hard. Keep going!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 20 2016, 12:46 PM
Instructor
Hi Val, this is a strong take with good timing.

As my comrades say, the dynamics could be more even.. some notes are loud and some not so loud etc.. it also sounds a little stiff. It could flow a lot easier. Maybe it's because you're concentrating hard?

As Darius said, playing with a clean tone can make it harder to get even dynamics. However it does show us where we pick hard and where we don't so maybe keeping it that way is a good test.

You're doing a good job, so just keep on doing it!

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 22 2016, 10:10 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 09:44 PM