> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Picking Hand Basics, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Rhida
Sep 28 2014, 07:25 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Original lesson: Picking Hand Basics by Ben Higgins

Very very useful lesson for my picking technique and my timing. Been working on this for a few days now. Let see if it is any good.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 28 2014, 10:12 AM
Instructor
Hey man. It's good to see you working on more picking basics.

The best part of the lesson is the first 3rd of it.

After that you're spending too much time being in front of the beat again smile.gif

Try to do that thing I told you about, deliberately hang back so you're behind.. and then bring it forward until it sits just right with the drums.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 28 2014, 12:37 PM
Instructor
Hey mate,

Great to see you in the REC zone again smile.gif Ben's right on the timing - but as you have already noticed, once you work on timing accordingly - either using Ben's method based on deliberately slowing down or of course, playing and recording against the original recording, you will definitely get things going smile.gif

Also, watch out for the triplet section - our brain is usually a bit hindered by ternary subdivisions - you need to think about cramming three equal notes on that beat there - just a little tip that you could keep in mind wink.gif

Please let us know how it's going and feel free to post your new takes here so that we may help further.

Keep rocking!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2014, 10:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida, good job with this lesson. I think that both Cosmin and Ben marked the main things to improve regarding timing. Most of the time you tend to play a bit before the beat. Sometimes it's more evident while in other section is just a very short millisecond. You need to deceive your mind and tend to play a bit after she wants. biggrin.gif

The timing problems become more important when you have to play faster figures so you must to put more emphasis on practicing 16th notes and triplets.

You managed dynamics very good on this take and the pick harmonic effect is less notorious on this take so I think that you are going on the right track with this way of picking.

Keep on the hard work! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 30 2014, 04:23 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:11 PM