Need Opinions On Pocket Pod
vampire18
Sep 7 2010, 06:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
since i joined the army i dont have much time at home, but i did manage to get an electric guitar to base, now by just reading the description the pocket pod seems like it would be a great solution for me, i can play with BTs from my MP3 playr and i can get all the cool tones in the comfort of a small device i can carry arround in my gig bag.
i wanted to know if any of you have any experience with the real thing and tell me if its as good as advertised(p.s i have a podxt at home and im more than satisfied with its performance)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 7 2010, 06:45 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I had one and it worked great. Tones sound good, aux in for mp3 is great, pod 2.0 patches are compatible.

Drawbacks:
You can't change patches/effects with your feet while playing (no pedals)
No USB recording capabilities

Here's a review I wrote about it:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Pocketpod

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
MigeZ
Sep 7 2010, 06:51 PM
GMC:er
It's pretty good but doesn't beat the bigger models like Pod XT and X3 in terms of gain&stuff (imo) but if your not looking for that high gain Pertucci lead sound then you will be fine with it (this doesn't mean that it doesn't have a decent gain). I have one which I take with me when we go to our summer cottage for example it works pretty well but I miss the screaming leads there. That may have something to do with the fact that its really cheap biggrin.gif My Metal Zone 2 pedal cost almost as much. So pocked pod for army? **** yeah it's the best at that price for its purpose. And if you'll play it through some quality headphones you will get really great sound/tone (experience with cheap headphones is well let say horrible fizzy and fuzzy). I could record you some stuff with it but well it's still at summer cottage due the fact that I don't use it almost anywhere else.

This post has been edited by MigeZ: Sep 7 2010, 06:59 PM

--------------------
MigeZ
What doesn't kill you
Will only make you stronger

+Quote Post
vampire18
Sep 7 2010, 07:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Fran @ Sep 7 2010, 06:45 PM) *
I had one and it worked great. Tones sound good, aux in for mp3 is great, pod 2.0 patches are compatible.

Drawbacks:
You can't change patches/effects with your feet while playing (no pedals)
No USB recording capabilities

Here's a review I wrote about it:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Pocketpod

you mentioned 2 alternatives in youre reviews, the korg pandra px4d and 5 d, what can you tell me about them?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 8 2010, 08:55 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (vampire18 @ Sep 7 2010, 08:22 PM) *
you mentioned 2 alternatives in youre reviews, the korg pandra px4d and 5 d, what can you tell me about them?

This is just my opinion, but after using a PX5D for a long time I must say I liked PocketPod tones better. Specially metal/alternative tones.

Korg PX5D has some advantages over pocketpod though, as it allows USB recording, and also provides rhythm and bass backings to jam over. You can also get some sepparate footswitches to change tones with your foot while playing (not included with PX5D though, you have to buy them sepparately)

Both are nice options. PX5D is more expensive though.

What did I do in the end? Neither of them. I got a BOSS ME-70 and that's what I use when I travel. I LOVE it. But it's much bigger. It's what I need to practice, because I play songs that need switching between clean/distorted and also adding chorus etc. So I needed something to emulate my real pedalboard. Boss ME-70 is as close as it gets to real sepparate stomps, so I don't use the pocketpod or PX5D much lately. I just grab an axe and my ME-70 when I travel on weekends etc.

Here's a mini review I wrote about ME-70:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...-70_Mini_Review

Here's a bigger review by our member JDriver:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Boss_ME-70

Here are some reviews about PX5D and PX4D from our wiki:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ora_PX4D_Review
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rg_Pandora_PX5D
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ora_PX5D_Review

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 8 2010, 09:22 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I had a pocket pod for a very short period of time, I was very disappointed with the higher gain sounds, being the basis of my sound on 99.9% of the stuff I play it just didnt meet my requirements, I agree with Fran, perhaps a Korg PX5D if your looking for something small and portable, I nearly bought one of them but opted for the POD XT instead.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
vampire18
Sep 9 2010, 02:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
i think ill try the pocket pod, its just suppose to be a practice/very portable tool. thx all repliers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 9 2010, 10:02 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Korg PX5D is a really interesting choice and it allow recording. I think Muris uses that unit in all his lessons.
I really like the concept of those small portable Korg units.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 03:57 PM