Getting Down With The Funk ?
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 11 2008, 07:13 PM
GMC:er
Well my guitar teacher says quote " Any new style/technique that you learn regardless of what kind of guitarist you want to be, will further you as a player ."

Ok, seems logical.

Him-" So now we are going to learn Funk ! "

Me- " Oh god"
_______

Funk. I didnt think it would be a easy road from the get go, but I know if I practice slow and get the hard rhythms down from the get go, I will be a better player.
But thats the thing.

1. Sometimes I will play rhythm passages with strokes like this

Down Up Down Up Down Up Up Down Up Up Down Up Down Up

Ive been practicing slow but it seems odd when you almost have to play a "Double Up" . If rhythmicly I had to play a double down, the motion is alot more comfortable to my hand, but when I try to player at higher tempos, and your trying to play fast using left hand muting and quick yet accurate motions with your left hand it becomes hard to play those odd motions with my right hand.

He explained it something like this : : " Well the reason your playing a "Double Up" is because your actually missing a stroke with your right hand "

I understand the concept of Funk, but its very hard rhythmically.
How do program and alternate between different patterns when its complicated for your left and right hand ?

Its hard Getting Down with the Funk dry.gif .

Thoughts. Ideas.Tipis. Excercises. Etc. Etc. All welcomed biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 11 2008, 07:32 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well Joe Kataldo made a lesson series about funk , also instructor Ivan have some excellent material on that subject..Key to getting the grooves down is practicing really slowly just the right hand strumming with a metronome..Just play it veeery slowly until you get to know the rhythms and only then try speeding up a bit...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 12 2008, 01:17 AM
Instructor
When beginning to practice funk rhythm guitar it is crucial that you go always up-down with your right hand. Even if you don't strum the string do the motion in air over the strings. This will keep you in groove an you will never get lost. In funk it's all about 16notes. Just scratch 16 notes up-down and strum when you need to.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 12 2008, 07:49 AM
Instructor
Funk is a great way to help your rhythm out and something i've started looking at very recently!!
Ivan has awesome funk lessons...trust me;)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 13 2008, 04:06 PM
GMC:er
Ok thanks guys smile.gif

Ive never thought about Ivans idea of the constant up and down even if your not playing on of the stokes biggrin.gif

Great tips smile.gif

Thank you smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 08:17 AM