> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Beginner Metal Rhythm Workshop #1, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
7 [ 2 ] ** [50.00%]
8 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

Siinthd
Oct 20 2018, 06:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Beginner Metal Rhythm Workshop #1 by Darius Wave

I'm still trying double track)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2018, 03:29 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Good job with this lesson. I can see that you can play the whole thing at tempo, and everything sound clean. There just a few details that can be improved to get the most from this great lesson by Darius.

Your palm muting work is not bad but if you check the original lesson you'll see that most of these parts sound more muted than yours and that gives the overall take a more staccato feel. Compare your open string muted parts with the original lesson and you'll head what I mean.

There is an important use of dynamics and articulation in the original take that you could incorporate in your take. By dynamics I reffer to the use of accents (different pick intensities) as an expression tool. The articulation here is related to the lengh of notes and how your connect riffs with chords.

There are very little timing issues that could also be improved here.

However, this is not a bad take mate, you are doing it very well, but some adjustments can take your playing to a new level.

It's a 7!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 23 2018, 06:47 AM
GMC Founder

Also, to improve listening experience further - try to work on your vibrato on a daily basis. This is the p+art that stick out to me when I compare with Darius. It seems your vibrato is a bit uneven.

This take feels great to me - you get an 8!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 24 2018, 02:09 AM
GMC:er
Another good take!! Sound is good, and you clearly have a fine performance going on. That's half the battle right there!! I did notice that you vibrato is a pinch tepid/tentative instead of being more exaggerated and authoritative. Also, your muting is good, but in some parts is not firm enough. E.G. If you press down harder on the bridge, it creates a more "Griding" type sound that sounds more aggressive. To do this, sitting with the guitar in classical position (guitar between the legs) lets you pull the guitar in to your body and get much more leverage on your palm mutes and on your vibrato. Again, this is just a suggestion as I found great improvement when I first switched to classical as it's much closer to my standing up position. Whether sitting or standing, ideally the guitar should rest at roughly the same spot, especially during your intense learning phase. As you may have noticed, I'm a big proponent of classical position for the benefits it provides in terms of leverage and control. That said, I too play side saddle from time to time, but I don't need the advantage of classical anymore as I can play without my left thumb ever touching the neck and without every picking a string. So once you can use just your left hand, without the thumb, you really won't have to worry about all this. Until then, try a pass with classical and see if you feel an improvement!

Todd

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 24 2018, 04:35 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Nice choice of lesson. It one I always thought would give best metal experience while maintaning ease of playing and variety of articulation tools.

As Gabriel wisely mentioned - your palm muting has not enough percussive feel - there is a little wrong balance between the attack and root "blurry" note sound. Try to move your hand more to the left or push on the strings firmly. In other words - sometimes it sound slightly muddy even though your tone seems to be very "easy playing"...I mean there are lot's of artificial attack that partially causes even soft pick strokes to sound heavy and it may be partially responisible for problems with these noisy "pokes" on breaks. Other reason for this could be too low strings action or improper fingers behavior. Make sure you flatten left fingers and release them very carefully when these breaks happen. Also keep your right palm involved in muting process (not only palm muting, but muting all strings on breaks with it's side).

There are spots where you play different than it is in original. For example there's one bend in the middle that should not be only vibrated. It should be countable pinch-bend-release lick. You just made the pinch and started to vibrate the note.

Also there's a post near around where you forgot to palm mute short part.

There are some spots where the pinch harmonics did not go well.

Overall there are details to fix. Overall basis is done well but I feel there's more you can do to make it sound even better, and it's withing your range of reach of skills smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 25 2018, 12:06 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 09:54 PM