> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Deftones Style, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

George Hlio
Apr 27 2018, 07:43 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Original lesson: Deftones Style by Darius Wave

My favourite Deftone's song from my favourite Deftones album! Awesome riffing! What more can I ask for? :)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 29 2018, 03:47 AM
GMC:er
Nice! Again the groove is the key here and you have a good grasp on the groove!! Without good groove, songs like this just sound like a dexterity drill. Not so here. You play it like it's music, not like a drill. SCORE! Your technique is on point as well. As I've mentioned before you have good palm muting. A much overlooked technique that is crucial for playing ALL forms of Heavy Music. You seem to have put in the time to get your mute working well. Keep it up. The only thing I would suggest is that you extend your mute all the way down the bridge. You are using your left hand for part of your muting which is normal. However, as you progress, certain licks can't be played using left hand muting. So work on extending your hand/finger down the bridge to cover all the strings so that even if you don't use your left hand you can still get a good mute .

Back to this tune! Picking is on point and hand synch is good. If hand sync were sloppy, it would stick out like a sore thumb. Not the case here. Very good hand synch. Also, your Alternate Picking is quite good which is great because this entire thing is based on Alternate picking! In short I think you got this. Solid 7 from me.

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 30 2018, 08:50 AM
Instructor
Hey again George!

To shorten everything to most important conclusion I will say that there's one limit to be crossed now for you - picking hand mechanics. Your overall all picking has an effect of a medium picking strength. When you play on a single string there is some "chunky" stroke sound missing. It's not necessary proportional to strength itself bt to a picking method mainly. Firmly press the pick just for the short moment when it crosses the string. Let it be more straight to the string when you don't play fast solos (Use high pick angle only at high speeds) Less pick angle means more tone, less pick noise....in general more chunk chunk wink.gif Taking little widerr strum is not a solution because it in fact increases the output but doesn't affect the tone as much as changing picking method. It's more to press the pick through the string instead of little strumming

AS fo the take itself you need to verify your vibrato technique because you bend the note and start to vibrate it. AS an effect you make detuned note have a vibration. That's not good. Note always has to go back to it's point zero.

You need to work out the "one finger" powerchords section....there is some string noise happning and there's a visible lack of precision but....I like how that part sounds....at some point it has that "chunk" I mentioned Final part is just fine.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 30 2018, 05:33 PM
Instructor
Hi George!

This lesson requires strong and precise picking, but it also requires a good sense of dynamics and groove. You are not able to play the notes, but the key is to make it sounds as it sounds in the lesson. There are many subtle details related to dynamics, groove and articulation that makes a big difference.

At this point I would work on very small sections and try to emulate the details that make the differente. But first, you need to be able to hear them, so dedicate some time to just compare your take with the original, think on those elements (groove, dynamics, muting, tone) and find out the differences.

Then, to emulate it by playing each part as a loop.

And oof course, let me know at the mentoring program if you need help with this.

Cheers!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 3 2018, 04:16 PM
GMC Founder
What stick out to me here are:

* Picking / strumming dynamics - would benefit from more aggressiveness

* Sound. Darius killer rhythm sound is not easy to replicate, but to me it sounds like you could benefit from more "speaker sound". Your sound is a bit harsh - reminds me a little of when I turn the speaker simulation off on my kemper. Another option is to add a very short delay (be careful not to add a bassy boomy reverb).

* Vibrato - is a bit uneven and uncontrolled. Practicing slow bending might help for this.

All in all this is promising and you get a 7 from me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
May 4 2018, 08:30 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.75

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 08:22 AM